Effects of this medicine
This medicine exerts bactericidal effect by penetrating cell membrane of fungi (mold and yeast) and Leishmania protozoa and leaking cytoplasmic component.
It is usually used to treat fungemia, respiratory mycosis, fungal meningitis, disseminated mycosis, febrile neutropenia with suspected fungal infection and leishmaniasis.
Possible adverse reactions to this medicine
The most commonly reported adverse reactions include nausea, vomiting, chill, fever, diarrhea/loose stool, kidney dysfunction (decreased urine output, edema), abnormal hepatic function (general malaise, loss of appetite), allergic reaction and angioneurotic edema (acute swelling involving the lips, eyelids, tongue, mouth, face or neck). If any of these symptoms occur, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
The symptoms described below are rarely seen as initial symptoms of the adverse reactions indicated in brackets. If any of these symptoms occur, stop taking this medicine and see your doctor immediately.
- facial pallor, respiratory distress, hives [shock, anaphylaxis]
- irritation of throat, difficulty in swallowing, respiratory distress [infusion-related reaction]
- decreased urine output, edema, headache [serious kidney disorder such as kidney failure and toxic nephropathy]
- loss of appetite, general malaise, yellowing of the skin and conjunctiva [serious liver dysfunction such as liver failure, jaundice and hyperbilirubinemia]
- arrhythmia, general malaise, lassitude [hypokalemia]
The above symptoms do not describe all the adverse reactions to this medicine. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you notice any symptoms of concern other than those listed above.