Effects of this medicine
This medicine shows specific and reversible immunosuppressive effect on lymphocytes, and mainly suppresses activation of helper T cells. It consequently suppresses abnormal immune reactions.
It is usually used to suppress rejection after transplantation of an organ (kidney, liver, heart, lung, pancreas, small intestine) or bone-marrow, and graft-versus-host disease following bone-marrow transplantation.
Before using this medicine, be sure to tell your doctor and pharmacist
- If you have previously experienced any allergic reactions (itch, rash, etc.) to any medicines.
If you have: renal/hepatic dysfunction, infections, malignant tumor or a history of it.
- If you are pregnant, possibly pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are taking any other medicinal products. (Some medicines may interact to enhance or diminish medicinal effects. Beware of over-the-counter medicines and dietary supplements as well as other prescription medicines.)
Possible adverse reactions to this medicine
The most commonly reported adverse reactions include renal disorder (decreased urine output, edema), liver disorder (dullness, yellowness in the hands or whites of the eyes), nausea, vomiting, infection, excessive hair growth, tremor (shaking of the limbs), gum hyperplasia, increased blood pressure, and hyperglycemia (thirst, excessive fluid intake) etc. If any of these symptoms occur, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
The symptoms described below are rarely seen as initial symptoms of the adverse reactions indicated in brackets. If any of these symptoms occur, stop taking this medicine and see your doctor immediately.
- decreased consciousness, chest constriction, respiratory distress [shock, anaphylaxis]
- convulsion, disturbance of consciousness, impaired vision [reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy, central nervous system disorder such as hypertensive encephalopathy]
- acute pain in upper abdomen, fever, nausea [acute pancreatitis]
- bleeding tendency, dullness, edema [thrombotic microangiopathy]
- swelling of lymph nodes, fever, loss of appetite [malignant tumor]
The above symptoms do not describe all the adverse reactions to this medicine. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you notice any symptoms of concern other than those listed above.