Effects of this medicine
This medicine has effects to suppress proliferation of cancer cells by inhibiting synthesis and functions of the cancer cell gene.
It is usually used in the treatment of gastric cancer, liver cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer. It is also used for esophageal cancer, lung cancer, head and neck cancer, small intestine cancer and pancreatic cancer difficult to be removed by surgery in combination therapy with other drugs or radiation.
Possible adverse reactions to this medicine
The most commonly reported adverse reactions include loss of appetite, diarrhea, loose stool, general malaise, nausea, vomiting, stomatitis, pigmentation, alopecia, rash, degeneration of artery wall around catheter tip and thrombus formation. If any of these symptoms occur, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
The symptoms described below are rarely seen as initial symptoms of the adverse reactions indicated in brackets. If any of these symptoms occur, stop taking this medicine and see your doctor immediately.
- frequent watery stools [severe diarrhea]
- thirst, dizziness on standing up, weakness [dehydration]
- intense abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloody stool (bright red‾dark red) [serious enterocolitis]
- sudden high fever, general malaise, bruise, dizziness [myelosuppression (leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia, etc.)]
- hives, breathing difficulty, light headedness, dizziness [shock, anaphylaxis]
- unsteady gait, impaired mouth movement, slow movement [leukoencephalopathy]
- shortness of breath, fatigability, edema [congestive heart failure]
- squeezing chest pain, cold sweating, left arm pain [myocardial infarction, angina at rest]
- decreased urine output, edema, general malaise [acute renal disorder]
- cough, breathing difficulty, fever [interstitial pneumonia]
- general malaise, loss of appetite, yellowing in white of eyes, yellowing in skin, decreased consciousnes [hepatic function disorder, jaundice, hepatic failure, hepatic and biliary tract disorder (cholecystitis, bile duct necrosis, parenchymal disorder of liver, etc.)]
- bloody vomit (red‾dark brown, sometimes black), abdominal pain, black stool [gastrointestinal ulcer]
- oral pain when eating or drinking, difficulty in swallowing, injury or swelling inside the mouth [serious stomatitis]
- nausea, intense upper abdominal pain, back pain [acute pancreatitis]
- nausea, convulsion, decreased consciousness [hyperammonemia]
- skin redness of the limbs, blisters, hypesthesia and supersensitve [hand-foot syndrome]
- weak sense of smell, or difficult to smell [dysosmia, anosmia]
The above symptoms do not describe all the adverse reactions to this medicine. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you notice any symptoms of concern other than those listed above.